The top 20 burglary hotspots in the UK have been named – and Liverpool features twice in the top 10. According to research by MoneySupermarket.com London has 12 of the postcodes on the list.But Manchester had the most burglary claims overall in the past 12 months – with 45.2 per thousand people. Liverpool has two postcode districts in the top 20 – Mossley Hill and Waterloo.
Here is the full list:
- M21 – Chorlton-cum-Hardy; Barlow Moor, Manchester, 45.2
- SE24 – Herne Hill; Tulse Hill (part), London, 41.8
- N10 – Muswell Hill, London, 40.9
- RM8 – Dagenham; Becontree; Becontree Heath, London, 35.9
- N2 – East Finchley; Fortis Green; Hampstead Garden Suburb (part), London,
- L18 – Allerton; Mossley Hill, Liverpool, 33.3
- L22 – Waterloo, Liverpool, 32.6
- N18 – Upper Edmonton; Edmonton (part), London, 32.3
- UB6 – Greenford; Perivale, London, 30.9
- SE27 – West Norwood; Gipsy Hill (part), London, 30.5
- B73 – Boldmere; New Oscott; Wylde Green, Birmingham, 29.5
- E8 – Hackney Central; Dalston; London Fields, London, 29.4
- DN2 – Intake; Wheatley; Wheatley Hills, Doncaster, 28.7
- N20 – Whetstone; Totteridge; Oakleigh Park, London, 28.0
- E9 – Homerton; Hackney Wick; South Hackney; Hackney Marshes; Victoria
Park, London, 27.8
- N11 – New Southgate; Friern Barnet; Bounds Green; Arnos Grove (part),
- N16 – Stoke Newington; Stamford Hill (part); Shacklewell; Dalston (part);
Newington Green (part), London, 27.7
- LS16 – Adel, Bramhope; Cookridge; Eccup; Far Headingley; Holt Park;
Ireland Wood; Lawnswood; Moor Grange; Tinshill; Weetwood; West Park, Leeds, 27.6
- B24 – Erdington; Tyburn, Birmingham, 27.6
- HP10 – High Wycombe; Flackwell Heath; Handy Cross; Hedsor; Loudwater;
Penn; Tylers Green; Wooburn; Wooburn Green; Wooburn Moor, Buckinghamshire, 27.3
Leeds saw the biggest decrease in robbery claim hotspots.
Kevin Pratt, home insurance expert at MoneySuperMarket.com, said: “Just because somewhere is named a claim hotspot it doesn’t actually mean the area in question is not a nice place to live.
“Thieves often target areas with wealthy residents and desirable properties where the rewards are potentially greater or quieter areas where they think there is less risk of being caught red-handed.”
The findings were based on more than three million home insurance quotes, and reveal that households in high risk areas pay about 24% more for insurance each year.
Jim Maddan, chairman for the Neighbourhood & Home Watch Network, added: “The majority of burglaries are opportunistic and criminals will often simply choose the easiest-looking target.
“Something as simple as being on speaking terms with your neighbours and passing the time of day could mean that they notice when something is wrong – or it might be you who notices something is amiss and saves your neighbour from misfortune.
“Crime does not flourish in communities where people care about each other.”
Postcodes in Hampshire’s Basingstoke are among those least likely to have made a claim, as are postcodes in Devon, East Riding of Yorkshire and Londonderry in Northern Ireland.
MoneySuperMarket recommends the following tips to keep your home safe:
- Always keep doors and windows locked when you’re asleep, or your home is unoccupied.
- Install timers on your lights to come on when you are not home.
- Ensure items of value are kept away from easy view through windows.
- Install a suitable alarm system.
- Ensure your home contents insurance is fully up to date.
Have you had a robbery?
If you need locks replacing, call the experts on